Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Count Your Blessings

As I sit here at almost 10pm at night, I hear the vacuum droning away upstairs. This means Sophie is sleeping soundly. Sarah is sleeping as well, hugging her new "Uniqua" doll tight in her arms. For this I am grateful. Not because the house is beautifully silent and still, but because the two loves of my life are happy and healthy and safely tucked away upstairs. (My third love is on his way home from work)

With life being so crazy at times I know we often forget how blessed we are. After trying for so long to have a baby, then going to China for Sarah, and then "surprise" here's Sophie, I should be ashamed that I don’t count my blessings more than I do. I have always been extremely annoyed when family and friends that had children complained about their lives when we were trying everything we could to have a baby. I especially loved (sarcastically) when I heard the quote " You have no idea how hard it is". Duh-of course we don't- we can't have kids you idiot!!! Have you not been paying attention??

I always thought that they should count themselves lucky rather than whine. Fast forward 3 years later, and I am the very person I used to despise! Ugh. I am trying not to be, but somedays are harder than others. There are so many families out there who lose children for various reasons that it makes me extremely sad, because at any minute those families could be our family, and that would be unbearable.

So, my goal going forward is to try to keep things in perspective, to treasure every moment, and to be grateful for everything and everyone that I have. Please feel free to remind me of this if/when I start to whine!!

No comments: