Thursday, October 2, 2008

Congratulations to Mom


On Saturday September 20th, we had the opportunity to celebrate Mom (Cheryl) in all her nursing glory. Mom had the honor of being presented with a special award from the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association in recognition of her work in the ER. I (Chris) would like to take credit here, since as a very sickly child with asthma I gave her a lot of practice and sleepless nights. LOL

This was a big night out for the wife and I without our 2 girls so we took full advantage. The ceremony was held at the Hudson Valley Resort and Spa in Kerhonkson, NY . We feasted on a nice 4 course meal of salad, pasta fagioli, chicken marsala and a nice strawberry shortcake to top it all off. The meal was decent- nothing like Romolos or Zana D, but we were there for Mom and not the meal. (This was also to be my last supper, which I will explain next time.)

Onto the ceremony, which was very well done with many thoughtful and emotional moments to reflect on. Mom got a well deserved standing ovation for not only excelling in the nursing field, but for persevering as a cancer survivor. Needless to say tears came to my eyes, (Where are my dark sunglasses when I need them?). The night ended with a few drinks and congratulations all around.

It made me feel great for Mom to receive her recognition in nursing excellence. In addition to the award she received this night, she also received similar awards back in May, and earlier in September (NYS Department of Health’s Emergency Medical Services award for Nurse of the Year). Not too shabby!!

I will also present my Mom with another award right now, The Best Mom Award. Here is a poem I found that sums it up a lot better than I could. (by Karl Fuchs)

For all the things I didn't say,About how I felt along the way--
For the love you give and the work you've done,Here's appreciation from your admiring son.
You cared for me as a little tot,When all I did was cry a lot, And as I grew your work did too--

I ran and fell and got black and blue.
I grew some more and it didn't stop. Now you had to become a cop To worry about mistakes I'd make.

You kept me in line for my own sake.
I got older, and the story repeated; You were always there whenever I needed.

You guided me and wished me the best, I became wiser and knew I was blessed.
So, for all the times I didn't say, The love I felt for you each day,

Mom, read this so you can always see Just how much you mean to me.

No comments: